Thursday, November 1, 2007

OctoberFEST 2007

I am sitting here at home with an outside temperature of 60ish (I know TC that you are in the low 80's--bragger), listening to Il Divo ("they" say that Simon Cowell discovered them) and really reveling in the beauty of an outstanding fall day in Draper Utah. Two sleeping animals surround me, Sprite our black cat, who we kept in last night, and Snikkers our beagle.

This month has been fun and crazy. I was able to go down to Arizona to spend time with the worlds three most beautiful and wonderful grandkids (I can hear anger), but yes they are. To tell you the truth, we were moles; we just stayed in and hung out, enjoying the flow of the Jolley’s day to day. I have to say that these people never get regular sleep; Anabelle was just getting the hang of sleeping and Jax was up with the roosters (AZ roosters get up around 4:00 a.m.)! Some high lights were going to Target’s Halloween section and watching terrified Jack negotiate with the scary animated toys; he wanted to have fun and enjoy even though he was extremely nervous. Brayden loved pushing all the buttons. We ended up purchasing RIP and Scully who I must say have driven TC crazy listening to them over and over—Halloween is over-whaaa whooo. TC and I were able to sneak away to the Camel Back Spa for an-out-of-this-world hot rock message, lunch by the pool, and the overall spa experience. We had to be back at 2:00 to relieve the sitter and it took everything in our power and soul to return home—it was a real treat. I have to say that TC and Jon are amazing people. As many of you know they have had so many changes in the last year, I think they are in the hundreds on the “stress” scale (death is considered 100 on a 1-100 scale). TC is a great mom and has incredible patience, I am really proud (the good kind) of both her and Jon (even though Jon moved our little people to distant lands)!

I arrived home in time to celebrate my mom’s 70th birthday. Due to the Jordan and Alta High School math program, we all calculated (6 siblings and spouses) wrong and it was actually my mom’s 69th birthday—sorry mom! Anyway, we are taking her to Vegas for the weekend and trust me, “what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas” will apply! (Just kidding Sid).

Mid October took us to Kansas City to see Milli and Travis and their beautiful fall. One of my favorite things to do with my girls is to run; Milli and I were able to do this on Thursday in marvelous weather, running is a great time to TALK, and that we did. We planned this particular weekend to visit KC so that we could experience with Milli her first marathon. Having run a marathon myself a few years ago (much, much, much, did I say much slower), I could relate to the excitement and also the apprehension of “being” able to finish before hitting the “wall” and also the dreaded “runners scoots” (we won’t going further than this in this writing). Saturday was a perfect day to run. The air was energized with excitement and with a band and announcer in the background; there was a real festive atmosphere. Sid, Sadie and Trav walked up the race route a bit and I found a chair to stand on behind the finish line so I could get pictures. Sid’s job was to call me when Milli and Amy (running partner) passed. When he called, my heart raced with excitement and gladness; they had finished. Milli and Amy ran the race in 3 hours and 48 minutes—just 8 minutes off from qualifying for the Boston. Wow. Milli was in great shape after the run; such shape that we had her out until 1:30 a.m. at an amusement park that night. Even I, Tammy Jones, went on one rollercoaster ride! Milli and Travis have really built a good life in K.C. Can’t wait for the holidays so we can see them then. We really love you guys!

We ended up spending Sunday night at a HO. JO. (Howard Johnson) in KC, because our flight was delayed. We had to be to the airport at 5:00 a.m. to catch the 6:00 a.m. flight. We routed to Dallas (the airport there is very fine) and then home. We picked up Snikkers from the kennel, did some wash, unpacked and repacked and headed to Newport Beach for our 28th anniversary. Sid, being the brilliant person that he is got us the flight that had layovers in of all places-- Phoenix. TC picked us up at the airport and we spent a few precious hours with the Jolley’s and Chuck E. Cheese. Sooo fun. We left and headed for fiery California. Of course we golfed, ate great food, spent time at the beach and did a LITTLE shopping. We had a great time. We headed back to Phoenix and TC met us this time at the airport where we celebrated Jacks third birthday. The boys were dressed in their batman costumes and A-Belle (Jon’s name for her) was wearing a cute girly dress with a bow and she was awake the entire time. We got to maul all three, get them sugared up with ice cream and send them on their way—not a bad set up!

Anyway, we have survived an extremely fun and busy month. I have a confession, I only put up outside Halloween decorations (so our neighbors wouldn’t vote us off the island-circle). I refuse to put up decorations until we have grandkids here!!!!!

Life is fabulous in the forties and there is much to be grateful for. I am taking Elder Eryings advice and keeping a journal of “seeing the hand of God in our lives each day—His tender mercies”. I see His hand each day as evidenced by a wonderful family who has big and little problems and who are watched out by wonderful “angels”, a God who helps us grow through trials and experiences both small and large. As a good friend (L.B.) often says, “it’s all good”, and it really is.

3 comments:

suzanne campbell said...

Tam You are the ultimatate grandma and I love you. You are right I think all your kids and grandkids are amazing. What have you got planned for NOvember? love Suzanne

TC Jolley said...

Mom, you are cute! We love you and miss you... off to Chucky Cheese for Jack's birthday!

Mandy said...

You have the life! I am so proud of you for following your loser kids around (losers because they moved...not because of anything that their mother taught them) I am also glad you put pictures of A-Bell on there. Tice ignores her I think! You are such a cute Grandma!